Every pupil who comes to Southgate will be welcomed and valued regardless of their special educational need, physical disability, sexuality, culture, race or gender. We provide an environment and curriculum which aims to make every pupil as independent as they can possibly be when they enter adulthood.
Requirements and Southgate School:
The Equality Act 2010 requires schools to have an accessibility plan aimed at:
- Increasing the extent to which disabled pupils can participate in the curriculum
- Improving the physical environment of schools to enable disabled pupils to take
better advantage of education, benefits, facilities and services provided
- Improving the availability of accessible information to disabled pupils
The governing body also recognises its responsibilities towards employees with disabilities, and will:
- Monitor recruitment procedures to ensure that persons with disabilities are
provided with equal opportunities
- Ensure that employees with disabilities are supported with special provision as
appropriate to ensure that they can carry out their work effectively without barriers
- Undertake reasonable adjustments to enable staff to access the workplace
Southgate School opened in June 2017 following extensive renovations to an existing building. This was carefully planned to accommodate both the pupils we currently have on roll, alongside any potential pupils and their varying needs in the future. As a specialist provision, we aim to fully meet all the requirements noted above. Please refer to the plans included in this policy.
This plan will be continually under review as we grow into our new building. Where necessary, and on a pupil by pupil basis, reasonable adjustment will be made to enable us to fulfil our vision.
Accessibility Plan-Ground Floor
Accessibility Plan-First Floor